If you have a DMG file of macOS Catalina or macOS Big Sur and want to install it on VirtualBox in Windows 10 then you’ll definitely need to convert DMG to ISO. So, in this tutorial, you will learn the easiest way to convert a DMG file to ISO for VirtualBox in Windows 10 for free.
Meanwhile, one of the most well-known container formats for distribution and compression of software on the Mac operating system is the DMG file format. On Windows computers, you can equate DMG files with ISO files. The main distinction is that Mac computers are compliant with DMG and Windows computers are compatible with ISO.
These days, downloading a Mac or Windows operating system is the most common file format. However, it would not be compliant if you want to run DMG files on Windows, and no Windows program will run it. However, you can conveniently remove all the data from the ISO image on Windows computers if you convert the DMG file to the ISO file format.
Reasons for DMG to ISO Converting:
- DMG is not compatible with the Windows operating system.
- You can extract files from an ISO image on any Windows operating system.
- Load operating systems or applications on Windows machines with DMG images.
- ISO files give Windows systems more tools to deal with.
Convert a DMG file to ISO for VirtualBox in Windows 10
There are different ways to convert a DMG file to ISO in WIndows like using PowerISO or Command prompt but we are going to use the AnyBurn app.
AnyBurn is a free, lightweight, and competent CD/DVD/Blu-ray software that allows ripping and burning audio, video and ISO formats.
Creating disk files and video compilations or bootable media with CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray optical disks is simple with AnyBurn. The software is lightweight, easy to use, and has a basic interface that can be navigated by anyone.
- Burn all CD / DVD / Blu-ray disc image files.
- Burn files and folders in your hard drive to CD, DVD, or Bluray disc
- Burn Audio CD which can be played in regular CD player from mp3, ape, FLAC, WMA files…
- Rip Audio CD to MP3, FLAC, APE, WMA files.
- Copy disc using sector by sector method.
- Create image files from hard disk files or CD / DVD / BD discs.
- Convert disc image files between various formats.
- Support both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
So, here are the steps to convert a DMG file to ISO for VirtualBox in Windows 10, and for the purpose of this guide, we will convert the macOS Catalina DMG file to ISO File for VirtualBox:
Step 1. Download AnyBurn on your Windows computer. You can either select (32-bit) or (64-bit) as per your system.
Step 2. Once downloaded, install and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 3. After installation, launch the AnyBurn app and choose Convert image file format.
Step 4. Click the folder icon next to Select source image file, choose your DMG file, and open it.
Step 5. Select Standard ISO Images (.ISO) next to the Select image file type option and choose Convert Now to start converting.
Step 6. Once it’s done with converting, you will see a message “Converting image file finished successfully.” click OK and Exit.
As you can see in the screenshot that the macOS Catalina DMG file is converted to ISO.
This is how you can convert DMG files to ISO for VirtualBox in Windows 10. Converting DMG to ISO might be a struggle if you don’t know how to do it properly. However, in this guide, we have shown the best way to do this without destroying the original DMG file using AnyBurn software.