In our previous post, we’ve shown you the installation process of Ubuntu Linux on Oracle VirtualBox and VMware Workstation in Windows 10. However, in this guide, you are going to learn how to install Kali Linux on VirtualBox virtual machine in Windows with ease and effortlessly.
When it comes Linux operating system then both the Ubuntu Linux and Debian Linux are the most used and important Linux versions. However, due to some reasons, we have decided to install Kali Linux on Oracle VirtualBox. Meanwhile, there are different types of Virtual Machines (VM) like VMware Workstation. Since VirtualBox is a free virtual machine and light at the same then it’s better to install Kali Linux on VirtualBox instead of VMware Workstation.
Kali Linux is a Linux distribution built on Debian that has been developed for penetration testing and is particularly useful for security experts and enthusiasts. Kali Linux, formerly known as BackTrack Linux, provides a lot of network audit software and programs. Kali can be run as a live DVD and, like any other Linux, can be installed as a host operating system (OS) on a computer. It is not recommended, however, that you use Kali as a desktop operating system for general purposes.
The Benefits of Kali Linux Installation on VirtualBox are:
- By running multiple operating systems simultaneously (a host OS and a guest OS or multiple guests), you don’t need to reboot a computer when using dual boot.
- A VM running Kali Linux is isolated from your host OS – running Kali on a VM in an isolated environment is secure.
- You can take a snapshot and roll back to the previous VM state if something goes wrong. The risk of harm to Kali Linux on a VM is minimal as a result.
- You can copy a configured VM on which Kali Linux is installed on other computers.
- You can attach physical USB devices, such as external network adapters directly to a VM due to the VirtualBox USB pass-through feature.
- VirtualBox installed on your computer.
- At least 4-8GB of RAM installed on your computer.
- At least 20GB of free disk space on your computer.
- Internet connectivity to download Kali Linux Image File.
- Hardware virtualization VT-x/VT-d or AMD-v enabled from the BIOS of your motherboard.
Step 1. Download & Install VirtualBox to Install Kali Linux
Oracle VM VirtualBox has been developed by Oracle Corporation as a free and open-source virtualization framework. Using Windows, macOS and Linux, Solaris, as well as OpenSolaris you can mount the VirtualBox. This allows users to build virtual machines to run other operating systems. “It supports guest development and management of Windows and Linux running virtual machines and restricted virtualization on Apple hardware of macOS guests.”
A virtual machine is a virtual system or program that offers the same features as physical machines (eg, a computer system with its own CPU, memory, network interfaces, and storage capacity). A virtual machine like a real device is used to run applications or OS.
- First, download the latest version of VirtualBox for Windows. Click Windows Hosts and the download will begin automatically.
- Navigate the folder where you have downloaded your VirtualBox and double-click on the downloaded “VirtualBox” file to install it.
- Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.16 Setup” window will appear on the screen and click on the “Next” button to continue.
- Choose the location where you want to install the VirtualBox and click on the “Next” button to continue.
- Click Next.
- Click Yes and then click the Install button to start the installation process.
Step 2. Download ready-to-use virtual image of Kali Linux
Well, there’s no need to download the Kali Linux ISO file, in order to install Kali on VirtualBox. Instead, all you need to do is to download the ready-to-use virtual image of Kali Linux. Here’s how it’s done:
Go to the Offensive Security’s download page to download the VM image for VirtualBox. Now, click on the file to download it. Select either Kali Linux VirtualBox 64-Bit or Kali Linux VirtualBox 32-Bit.
Once you click on the link, your browser should prompt you to download the Kali Linux image. Select Save.
The download should start. It may take a while to complete as the file size is around 3.53 GB.
Step 3. Install Kali Linux on VirtualBox
Once you have downloaded and installed both the Kali Linux image file and VirtualBox, open-up the virtual machine and click on the Import option.
A new window opens so you can do this manually. Click the folder with the green up arrow to choose the Kali image file.
Find the downloaded Kali Linux image file and click Open. Remember that the file name should start with “Kali Linux” and end with the “.ova” extension.
Now, you will be shown the settings for the virtual machine you are about to import. However, here you can customize certain things like RAM, CPU, and some other options. After you are done with the settings, click Import and wait for a while.
Click Agree and wait for a while.
You will now see it listed. So, just hit Start to launch it.
Enter the Kali Linux user name and password. Remember that both the default user name and password is kali.
Finally. Kali Linux is successfully installed on VirtualBox in Windows 10.
That’s it. This is how you can install Kali Linux on VirtualBox in Windows 10. the process is very easy and it might seem a bit tricky while following the above-mentioned steps but that’s not the case. If you faced any kind of problem feel free to contact us in the comment section below.