In this feature, I am going to introduce you to the 15 best WordPress security plugins in 2019. While security for WordPress goes far beyond just plugins, it is still a critical tool to keep your page tightly secured. Nevertheless, it can be difficult to choose the right WordPress security plugins, particularly as there are so many to choose from.
Having said that, the wide range of options available means you can customize the security features of your site to suit your specific needs. Once you get to know some of the market’s most popular and effective plugins, you can make an informed decision about which plugins to use.
Do We Need a WordPress Security Plugins?
If you’re searching for security plugins for WordPress? Know this status— 44 times a day the average website is attacked and if any of these attacks were successful, your online business could be seriously hurt. That’s why your WordPress page should be at the top of your goals for privacy and online security initiatives.
Some of the negative things that may arise with a breach of security include:
- Digital hackers could steal data from you and your customers.
- Private data from your company and your customers could be revealed.
- The content of your website may be completely deleted.
- Your site might be able to distribute malware to your tourists that damage your brand and SEO rankings.
- Fixing your hacked WordPress page can be a complicated and costly process.
All of these reasons make it incredibly important to have a WordPress security plugin enabled on your blog. And now that you are aware of the risks of an unsecured website and why you need a security plugin for WordPress, let’s talk about the top choices.
15 Best WordPress Security Plugins
This list of 2019’s best security plugins for WordPress will help you choose which one works best for you and your company. So which security plugin is best for you and offers the best protection for WordPress? Take a look at the list:
Sucuri is the pioneer in security for WordPress. It’s one of the best security plugins on the market for WordPress. We offer a basic free Sucuri Security plugin that will help you toughen security for and search your website for common threats. But the real value is in the paid plans that come with the best protection for the WordPress firewall. A firewall prevents you from accessing WordPress to block brute force or malicious attacks. Even before it hits your client, the Sucuri website firewall filters out bad traffic. They also use their own CDN servers to support static content.
- Monitor file integrity
- Implement basic hardening best practices
- Monitor your site in Google Safe Browsing
2. Wordfence Security
Wordfence Security is, and for good reason, one of the most popular security plugins in WordPress. This gem combines simplicity with powerful tools for protection, such as robust security features for login and tools for recovery of security incidents. One of Wordfence’s main advantages is that you can gain insight into overall trends in traffic and attempts at hacking.
Wordfence has one of the most impressive free solutions, from firewall blocks to brute force attack security. A paid edition, however, is available to one page starting at around $99 per year. The plugin designers also make it cheaper for developers to sign up for multiple site keys, including steep discounts.
- Basic security hardening
- Login protection, including two-factor authentication
- Malware scanning and file integrity monitoring
- An application-level endpoint firewall
3. All In One WP Security & Firewall
All In One WP Security & Firewall provides an easy configuration and good customer support without any subscription plans as one of the most feature-packed free security plugins. This is a highly visual security plugin with graphs and meters to illustrate metrics such as security intensity for beginners and what needs to be done to improve your page.
The characteristics are classified into three categories: Simple, Intermediate and Advanced. Therefore, if you are a more advanced user, you can still take advantage of the plugin. The main way in which this plugin works is to secure your user accounts, prevent powerful login attempts, and improve the security of user registration. The protection of the server and folder is also included in the plugin.
- Limiting login attempts
- Disabling in-dashboard file editing
- Identifying files and folders with incorrect file permissions
- Blocking access to your debug log file
- Monitoring file integrity for core WordPress files
4. iThemes Security
iThemes Security is the people behind the famous BackupBuddy plugin’s WordPress security plugin. Like all their products, iThemes Protection offers lots of options for a nice clean user interface. This includes file integrity checks, protection hardening, restrict login attempts, strict enforcement of passwords, 404 detections, brute force protection, and more. iThemes Security does not have a firewall for the website. It also does not include its own malware scanner and uses the malware scanner of Sucuri’s Site check.
- Malware scanning and file integrity monitoring
- More login protection with CAPTCHAs and two-factor authentication
- User activity logging
As it works similar to plugins like iThemes Security Pro and Sucuri Scanner, it’s important not to forget VaultPress. You have to pay to get any kind of coverage, but the packages start at just $39 a year, making it one of the most accessible premium security plugins. The website says this package is more for small businesses and bloggers, but you can also switch to a more efficient plan for either $99 a year or $299 a year.
- The pricing is better than most other premium WordPress security plugins.
- The dashboard looks cleans and easy to understand for all users.
- You can make real-time or manual backups using a calendar.
6. Google Authenticator – Two Factor Authentication
If you were a client of the Clef, Google Authenticator is explicitly for you. A guide on how to move from Clef to Google Authenticator can be found on the plugin site. This claims to give a key-like experience, and I wouldn’t believe it because it’s Google’s app, and it’s pretty decent.
The plugin is extremely secure and user-friendly. Two-factor authentication adds a second layer of protection to your WordPress website along with the generation of strong passwords and can prove to be the good and great safety difference.
- Log in using Username + Password + Two-Factor
- Log in With Username + Two-Factor
- Support for All Smartphones
- Deployable for Your Entire User-Base in Minutes
- Role-Wise Two-Factor Authentication
7. Security Ninja
Security Ninja is a WordPress security plugin that is simple to use and which helps you enforce some of the most common concepts of WordPress security. The free version runs 50 + tests at WordPress.org and gives you advice on how to fix problems (such as including a code snippet to disable file editing).
- Malware scanning and file integrity monitoring
- An application-level firewall (blocks 600+ million known malicious IPs)
- User activity tracking
8. BulletProof Security
There are both free and premium versions of the BulletProof Security plugin. The paid option sells for a one-time fee of $69.95 and is continuously created, updated, and likely has more features on the market than any other security plugins. They provide a 30-day money-back guarantee, and you get quarantine features, email alerts, anti-spam, auto-restore, and more.
- Login security and monitoring.
- Database backups and restoring.
- MScan Malware Scanner.
- Anti-spam and anti-hacking tools.
- A security log.
Defender is one of WPMU DEV’s most common security plugins. A one-click website hardening technique begins the plugin. This immediately adds layers of protection against security threats to your WordPress website.
- Google 2-Step Verification.
- WordPress core file scanning and repair.
- Login Screen Masking.
- IP Blacklist manager and logging.
- Unlimited file scans.
- Timed Lockout brute force attack shield for login protection.
WebARX is a cloud-based security system for websites that makes it easy to manage protection from one simple dashboard for multiple WordPress pages. The main feature of WebARX is a firewall at the application level. Although we generally believe that a DNS-level firewall is a better approach to WordPress security, the application-level firewall of WebARX is even more robust than most of the other application-level firewalls you will see in WordPress security plugins.
- Two-factor authentication
- Brute force protection
- User activity logs
- Theme/plugin vulnerability monitoring
MalCare is primarily a plugin for the scanning and removal of malware from WordPress, although it provides some simple hardening and a firewall at the application level. His strategy for malware scanning is one of the most interesting aspects of this method. MalCare copies the files to MalCare’s servers instead of scanning the individual files on your computer and scans them there. The benefit of this approach is that your live website will not be slowed down. If MalCare detects any problems, you can fix problems with one click in the premium version.
- A basic application-level firewall to block malicious IP addresses
- CAPTCHA login protection
- Basic security hardening like disabling file editing and protecting your uploads folder
12. Astra Web Security
Defender is one of WPMU DEV’s most common security plugins. A one-click website hardening technique begins the plugin. This immediately adds layers of protection from security threats to your WordPress website.
- Free scans for your WordPress website to hunt suspicious codes
- Google 2 step verification
- Blacklist suspicious IPs from accessing your website
- Login protection from brute force
- Login screen masking to move your login page to a custom URL
13. Shield Security
Shield Security is one of the few security plugins in WordPress with a server score of 5/5. The plugin claims to simplify and make your website safer. To begin with, setting up is extremely easy. Simply install and trigger the plugin.
The plugin is intelligent in a way it knows when to notify you and what issues it should bring to your attention. This is in contrast to other plugins that use loads of redundant alerts to flood your WordPress admin table. This plugin can be used to restrict attempts to login as well as to block brute force attacks.
- Easy-To-Use Guided Wizards
- Limit Login Attempts Automatically
- Powerful Core File Scanners
- Security Admin Users
14. WP fail2ban
WP fail2ban offers one feature, but it is an important feature: security from attacks by brute force. The plugin takes a different approach that many see as being more powerful than you get from some of the above-mentioned protection suite plugins. WP fail2ban reports all attempts to log in to the Syslog using LOG AUTH, regardless of their intent or success. You have the choice of a soft or hard ban, which is different from the traditional approach of choosing only one.
- Choose between hard or soft blocks.
- Integrate with CloudFlare and proxy servers.
- Log comments to prevent spam or malicious comments.
- The plugin also logs information about spam, pingbacks, and user enumeration.
15. Jetpack Security
Jetpack is another common all-in-one solution on our list for the best plugins for WordPress security. This well-known plugin allows you to easily search for security vulnerabilities on your website and has more than 5 million active installs.
- Alerts you via email the moment it detects that your WordPress site is down
- Protects your site against brute force login attacks, spam, and harmful malware
- Site backups and 1-click restore
- Includes website design features and automated marketing tools
- Automatic comment filtering
Why is security important for WordPress?
Your visitors build confidence with a stable WordPress website. It would be much more comfortable to explore it and share your information when you see that your website is safe. In fact, you would save a secure website a lot of money and time to prevent hacking
Winner of the Best WordPress Security Plugins
If you’re searching for a security plugin for WordPress that has everything, obviously there are answers you need to pick. Our choice of the best security plugin for WordPress goes without any doubt about Sucuri.
It comes with all of the features that you want instead of only a few to protect your website. It involves website scanning, DNS firewalls and their own cloud-based server and CDN network (not just a database).
We suggest if you haven’t already, that you start with Sucuri as quickly as possible. The Premium is not free of charge, but if you have a secure website you will save a lot of possible costs and problems (not to mention, peace of mind) when you break it. Apart from Sucuri, we can recommend Wordfence as well.
- best free WordPress security plugin 2019
- best WordPress security plugins 2019
- WordPress security scan plugin
- sucuri security plugin
So this was all about best WordPress security plugins. Protecting your WordPress website should be your top priority and it can prove to be a real challenge without security plugins. Having a gentle approach to security on the website is nothing short of stupidity. Your website’s content is the result of your hard work and the people that work with you. It is obviously sad to see that in a matter of minutes it goes down the drain.