In this macOS tutorial, you’re going to learn how to install macOS High Sierra on VirtualBox on Windows 10/11 computer using the macOS High Sierra VMDK file.
The fourteenth major edition of macOS, Apple Inc.’s desktop operating system for Macintosh computers, is macOS High Sierra (version 10.13). On June 5, 2017, macOS High Sierra was unveiled at the WWDC 2017, and it was released on September 25, 2017. The term “High Sierra” refers to the California High Sierra area.
Features of macOS High Sierra
- A brand new file system.
- Better Graphic and VR.
- Backward Compatibility.
- Safari knows when to keep quiet.
- Safari privacy protection.
- Persistent website customization.
- Editing feature for photos.
- Mail upgrades.
- Note Tweaks.
- A brighter spotlight.
- iCloud file sharing.
- Tighter security.
macOS High Sierra Supported Devices
- iMac Pro 2017
- iMac 2017 or later
- MacBook Pro 2016 or later
- MacBook Pro 2016 or later
- iMac 2015 or later, Mid 2017 or newer
- MacBook Early 2015 or later
- MacBook Air 2010 or later
- Mac Pro 2010 or later
- MacBook late 2009 or later
- iMac late 2009 or later
System Requirements For macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
- Developer & Publisher: Apple
- Operating System: macOS X 10.9 or later
- Setup Detail: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or later
- Ram: 2 GB for this dmg
- Ram: 3 GB for ISO and Vmware
- HDD: 20GB For Installation
What You Will Learn Here:
Required Files to Install macOS High Sierra on VirtualBox in Windows
In order to install macOS High Sierra on VirtualBox on Windows, you’ll need to download the below-given links:
So, here are the steps to install macOS High Sierra on VirtualBox:
Step 1. Install VirtualBox on Windows PC/Laptop
Oracle VM VirtualBox has been developed by Oracle Corporation as a free and open-source virtualization framework. Using Windows, macOS, Linux, Solaris, as well as OpenSolaris you can mount the VirtualBox. This allows users to build virtual machines to run other operating systems. “It supports guest development and management of Windows and Linux running virtual machines and restricted virtualization on Apple hardware of macOS guests.”
A virtual machine is a virtual system or program that offers the same features as physical machines (eg, a computer system with its own CPU, memory, network interfaces, and storage capacity). A virtual machine like a real device is used to run applications or OS.
- Navigate the folder where you have downloaded your VirtualBox and double-click on the downloaded “VirtualBox” file to install it.
- Oracle VM VirtualBox Setup” window will appear on the screen and click on the “Next” button to continue.
- Choose the location where you want to install the VirtualBox and click on the “Next” button to continue.
- Click Next.
- Click Yes and then click the Install button to start the installation process.
Step 1. Create macOS High Sierra Virtual Machine & Configure
Launch the VirtualBox VM and select New.
Type in a Name for the virtual machine like macOS High Sierra, make sure the Type is set to Mac OS X and the Version is set to macOS 10.13 High Sierra (64-bit). Click Next.
Set the RAM size to at least 4 GB (4096 MB) and click on Next. 2048 MB is recommended but you can provide more than that depending on the RAM you have.
Select Use an existing virtual machine hard disk file. Click on the Folder icon and click Add.
Locate the macOS High Sierra VMDK file and click Open.
Once you’ve added the macOS High Sierra VMDK file, click Choose.
Now, select Settings to customize certain things.
Go to the System > Processor tab and select a minimum of two processors or higher.
Go to the Display > Screen menu then increase the Video Memory to 128 MB.
You also need to disable the floppy disk from the boot order, to disable it, go to the System > Motherboard tab and then uncheck the box of the Floppy.
Enable the USB 3.0 from the USB tab.
At last, select OK.
Step 3. Run VirtualBox Code to the Command Prompt
Once you’ve created and customized your virtual machine, it’s time to run some codes in order to install macOS High Sierra on VirtualBox. First, you should notice your virtual machine name because later on, we will use it.
Note: It’s highly recommended that you should quit the VirtualBox program before executing the code. If you don’t do it, your virtual machine might not proceed to the installation step.
Open the VirtualBox code. Go to the Edit tab and select Replace.
Now, replace “VM Name” with your virtual machine name and select Replace All.
Once you replaced the “VM Name” with your virtual machine name, then run the code one by one to the command prompt (CMD). Remember that, you must run Command Prompt as an administrator.
Copy the first line and then paste it to Command Prompt, press enter.
Now, copy the rest of the code and paste it to the CMD, and press enter.
Once finished, close both CMD and Notepad apps.
Step 4: Start the macOS High Sierra Virtual Machine
Open the VirtualBox app then click the Start button.
Once you have started the virtual machine then you’ll see some code running in the background. Just wait until you see the Apple logo.
- Choose your Country and click on Continue.
- Select your keyboard layout, you can add another layout of the keyboard also by clicking on the show all option.
- Select the option Don’t transfer any information right now and click on continue.
- Select the option Don’t Sign in then click continue, once the other window popped up click on the Skip button.
- Now agree with the terms and conditions and click Agree.
- Create your computer account, by entering your Full name, Account name, and Password, then click on continue.
- On the Express set up window simply click continue.
- Wait a little while to Setting Up Your Mac.
And finally, macOS High Sierra is ready to use on VirtualBox on Windows 11 PC right now. Enjoy using macOS High Sierra on VirtualBox on Windows PC, if you don’t have a Mac PC.
That’s all. These were the steps to install macOS High Sierra on VirtualBox on Windows 10/11 computer using the macOS High Sierra VMDK file.
How to Install macOS Monterey on VirtualBox in Windows 10/11