macOS Monterey or macOS 12 is the latest Mac operating system. However, if you want to test and try the beta version then the best way is to install it on VMware Workstation. In this guide, you will learn how to install macOS Monterey on VMware in Windows 10. But before, installing macOS Monterey on VMware, let’s have some information on this latest Mac operating system and its new features.
What You Will Learn Here:
- macOS Monterey
- Required Files to Install macOS Monterey on VMware in Windows
- Step 1. Install VMware Workstation 16 Pro
- Step 2. Unlock VMware to Install macOS Monterey on Windows
- Step 3. Create macOS Monterey Virtual Machine
- Step 4. Edit macOS Monterey VMX File
- Step 5. Power on macOS Monterey Virtual Machine
- Step 6. Setup macOS Monterey for the First Time
macOS Monterey (version 12) is the 18th major release of macOS, Apple’s desktop operating system for Macintosh computers. The successor to macOS Big Sur, it was announced at WWDC 2021 on June 7, 2021, and is expected to be released later in 2021. A beta version of macOS Monterey was released to developers enrolled in the Apple Developer Program on June 7, 2021. A public beta version will be available in July 2021.
macOS Monterey Features
As compared to macOS Big Sur, Apple has introduced some wonderful new features.
Here are some of the top new macOS Monterey features:
- Introduction of Shortcuts for the Mac
- Universal Control, which allows a single keyboard and mouse to interact across multiple Macs and iPads at once
- Redesigned Safari browser
- Support for playing AirPlay content received from iOS and iPadOS devices
- Enhancements to FaceTime, including the ability to share screen, and the SharePlay feature which provides a way to experience content simultaneously and in sync
- Ability to factory reset the device from the System Preferences app
- Live Text to copy, paste, translate, and lookup text in Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, and Safari (requires a Mac with Apple silicon)
- Focus to set different modes to filter notifications across iPhones and iPad.
macOS Monterey is compatible with all Macs with Apple silicon and the following Intel-based models:
- MacBook: Early 2016 and newer
- MacBook Air: Early 2015 and newer
- MacBook Pro: Early 2015 and newer
- Mac Mini: Late 2014 and newer
- iMac: Late 2015 and newer
- iMac Pro: Late 2017
- Mac Pro: Late 2013 and newer
Required Files to Install macOS Monterey on VMware in Windows
In order to install macOS Monterey on VMware Workstation 16 Pro on Windows, you’ll need to download the below-given links:
- Download VMware Workstation 16 Pro
- Download VMware Unlocker
- Download macOS Monterey ISO File
Note: Make sure that Virtualization Technology is enabled on your Windows 10 PC or laptop.
So, without wasting any more time, here are the steps to install macOS Monterey on VMware Workstation Pro 16 in Windows 10:
Step 1. Install VMware Workstation 16 Pro
VMware Workstation Pro is a piece of software that helps you to run various operating systems on a single desktop machine without having to install them. This method allows engineers, teachers, and businesses to test applications on their devices without the need for several machines to manage various procedures. It also creates the ideal environment for cloud and platform testing.
VMware has a long history of creating virtualization applications for both students and businesses. They update their software so much that it’s difficult to pinpoint the most recent edition and they’re always modernizing to keep up with the times. The workstation offers a sandbox system in which you can test and allow whatever you’re working on to function under different circumstances. On both Linux and Windows, the software runs smoothly.
Steps to install VMWare Workstation 16 Pro:
- Click on the VMware install file and select Next.
- Check the box next to I accept the terms in the License Agreement and click Next.
- Click Next and Next in the upcoming screens.
- Finally, click Install and Finish.
Step 2. Unlock VMware to Install macOS Monterey on Windows
VMware Unlocker for macOS is a useful tool that replaces a few files, like VMware-vmx, vmwarebase.dll, and vmwarebase. So, and patches macOS settings and installation features including preferences, booting, and installation settings into VMware, as well as downloading a copy of the latest version of VMware Tools for macOS if you want. As a consequence, after you’ve installed the fix, you’ll be able to work out VMware settings and load every variant of macOS on VMware without any limitations.
Note: Make sure the VMware Workstation application is closed completely.
When you downloaded macOS Unlocker V3 for VMware GitHub then extract it. Right-click on win-install. cmd and click Run as Administrator. Click Yes, if you are prompted.
It will pop up command prompt running some commands and wait until it’s done.
Step 3. Create macOS Monterey Virtual Machine
- Launch the VMware Workstation app and click on Create a New Virtual Machine.
- Click Next. The default option is Typical (recommended).
- Select I will install the operating system later and click Next.
- Select Apple Mac OS X under the Guest operating system. Choose 11.0 for the version and click Next.
- Give your virtual machine a name like macOS 12 Beta and click Next.
- Specify the disk size and select Store virtual disk as a single file and click Next. 80GB is recommended.
- Click Customize Hardware to configure macOS Monterey virtual machine.
- On the Memory tab, allocate the amount of RAM. Higher RAM, higher performance.
- On the Processors tab, increase the CPU processor core.
- Click the New CD/DVD (SATA) option, click Use ISO image file, and click Browse.
- Locate the macOS Monterey ISO file and click Open.
- To save all the changes, click Close.
- At last, click Finish and you are done with creating and configuring macOS Monterey virtual machine.
Step 4. Edit macOS Monterey VMX File
- Go to Documents > Virtual Machines > macOS Monterey Beta > Right-click on macOS Monterey.vmx then open it using Notepad.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the texts and add the below code. Click on File > Save.
smc.version = “0”
Step 5. Power on macOS Monterey Virtual Machine
- Launch VMware Workstation, select the macOS Monterey VM, and click Power on this virtual machine.
- Here, you will see the Apple logo.
- Select your preferred language and click the arrow icon at the bottom right-hand corner.
- Select Disk Utility and click Continue.
- Choose VMware Virtual SATA Hard Drive Media then click Erase.
- Here, select the following options: Name: macOS Monterey (optional), Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and Scheme: GUID Partition Map. Click Erase. When finished, click Done.
- Click the Disk Utility tab and select Quit Disk Utility.
- Select Install macOS 12 Beta and click Continue.
- Click Continue. On the next screen, click Agree and once again select Agree.
- Select the macOS 12 Beta hard disk and click Continue.
- Now, wait patiently. It will take a good 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the speed of your PC or a laptop.
Step 6. Setup macOS Monterey for the First Time
Once the macOS Monterey installation is completed, it’s time to set up the operating system for the first time on VMware.#
- On the Welcome screen, select your country/region and click Continue.
- Click Settings to customize Language, Input, and Dictation. Otherwise, click Continue.
- On the Accessibility page, click Not Now and then click Continue on the Data & Privacy page.
- Select how your computer connects to the internet. I recommend choosing My computer does not connect to the internet.
- On the Migration Assistant screen, click the Not Now button to continue.
- Click on Set Up Later then Don’t Sign In. You can add your Apple ID later.
- Select Agree to Terms and Conditions. Once again select Agree.
- Create an account with a Full name and password. Click Continue.
- Click Continue on Make This Your New Mac Window.
- Select Set Up Later on the Screen Time page.
- Here, you can either enable or disable Siri then click Continue. If you have decided to enable Siri then select your preferred language on the next screen.
- Now, select your preferred look like Light, Dark, or Auto, and click Continue.
- Finally, macOS Monterey is successfully installed on VMware.
That’s it. This is how you can install and run macOS Monterey on VMware Workstation 16 Pro on a Windows 10 PC or laptop. The installation process was really easy. All you need to do is download the required files and make sure Virtualization Technology is enabled from BIOS.
How to Install macOS Big Sur on VMware Workstation in Windows 10
How to Install macOS Catalina on Vmware Workstation 16 Pro
This worked for the install, but after shutting down the OS and powering off the virtual machine it wouldn’t load the OS again. Not sure what smc.version = “0” does, but it was no longer in the configuration when I checked it. When I put it back in and tried to power on it said it was bad. When I took it back out I could power on but it wouldn’t load the OS.
Maybe the macOS Monterey ISO beta file is buggy.
Didn’t work for me. Keeps rebooting to the “Your computer was restarted because of a problem” screen then repeating over and over
Maybe the cause is the macOS Monterey Beta file.