Do you want to know what generation your Intel processors is on your laptop and PC in Windows 10? When you want to buy a brand new PC or laptop, the first thing you’ll ask What is the generation of the laptop? So, in this guide, we’ll show you 3 different ways to check the generation of laptop and PC in Windows 10.
You might want to know what generation your Intel CPU is if you’re repairing your PC or shopping for a new one. Intel releases a new generation of CPUs nearly every year, and you should only buy the most recent generation of Intel CPUs.
The most recent 9th generation processor was introduced in August 2018, whereas the previous 8th generation processor was introduced in August 2017. Intel introduced 7th generation CPUs in August 2016. In August of 2015, the company announced the launch of their 6th generation CPU.
How to Check Generation of Laptop and PC in Windows 10
So, if you’re eager to find out the generation of your PC and laptop, we’ll show 2 different ways.
Method 1. Find the Generation via This PC’s Properties
It’s simple to figure out which generation your PC’s Intel CPU belongs to. You can accomplish that without using any third-party program.
Simply right-click This PC and select Properties to get a quick overview of the current hardware and operating system configuration. The information includes, among other things, the processor you’re using, but the processor is referred to by the brand name under which it was sold or marketed.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Right-click on the “This PC” icon or on your desktop and select Properties.
- You’ll find out information about the Core and Generation next to the Processor section.
- In my case, it’s Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.80 GHz. The number after – will be your laptop or PC’s generation.
- The number at the position of this bold 7 will be the generation of your PC and laptop’s processor.
Method 2. Check the Generation of Laptop and PC via Task Manager
In the second method, you’ll need to use Task Manager and go to the Performance tab. Select CPU in the column on the left. Here you can find the generation of your PC and laptop.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Go to the Performance tab and select CPU.
- Here you can find the generation of your PC and laptop.
Method 3. Find Generation of Laptop via Command Prompt
There are some users who want to know how to check laptop and PC generation via Command Prompt. So, as a result, we have got the command to find the generation.
Here are the steps:
- Open Command Prompt.
- Type wmic and press enter.
- Now, type cpu get name and press enter.
- The number after the “-“ (hyphen) will be your laptop or PC’s generation.
This is how you can find and check the generation of your laptop and PC in Windows 10 in 2 different ways. You could get precise information about the generation of your PC and laptop by using this PC Properties and Task Manager. Well, knowing about the Intel CPU and generation is always useful, especially if you’re looking to buy a PC or laptop, or if you just want to brush up on your computer knowledge.