Do you want to view file extensions on your iPhone or iPad? In this guide, you’ll learn 2 different ways to show and see file extensions on iPhone and iPad in the Files app.
A file’s name and extension together make up its entire name. A crucial component of the file name is the file extension. You may not always be able to identify a file without its extension. On iOS devices, displaying file extensions is not always simple. To show filename extensions, there are several file management applications.
You can force Apple’s built-in Files app to show file extensions for items in the currently being browsed folder starting with iOS 16.0. File management on iPhone and iPad has been more practical since the release of iOS 11 thanks to Apple’s Files app. It gives you access to data not just on your smartphone and in iCloud, but also in other services that may be integrated with the application, such as OneDrive or Dropbox.
Here are the 2 methods to see and show file extensions on iPhone and iPad for the Files app:
What You Will Learn Here:
Method 1. See File Extensions on iPhone and iPad in the Files App
- Open the Files app and navigate to any folder.
- Touch and hold on to the file and tap Get info.
- The file type extension can be found in the Kind box, underneath the file name, and next to the file name in this instance.
Method 2. How to Permanently Show File Extensions in the File App
But that all changed with the introduction of iOS 16 when Apple covertly included the option to display file extensions in the folder pane.
To make the file extension constantly displayed on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 16 or later, just follow these steps:
1. Open the Files app and open any folder that consists of files.
2. Tap the 3 dots menu at the top right-hand corner.
3. Tap View Options.
4. Select Show All Extensions.
5. The extensions of all the files in the current folder are now visible.
That’s all. These were the 2 ways to show and see the file extensions on iPhone and iPad on the Apple Files app on iOS 16 or later or iPadOS 16.
How to Change Charging Animation on iPhone [iOS 15 & iOS 16]
How to Make Full-screen Caller ID on iPhone 14, 14 Pro, and 14 Pro Max in iOS 16