Do you want to disable the touchpad automatically when a mouse is connected to Windows 11? If that’s the case for you then you’re in the right place. In this Windows 11 guide, you’ll learn how to turn off the touchpad when a mouse is connected to Windows 11 and Windows 10 laptops.
Meanwhile, a touchpad is an important Input device that is often found on all laptops and is used to control the mouse pointer on Windows and other operating systems with GUI support. However, some people prefer a mouse to a touchpad, particularly while gaming or manipulating graphics or video. If you do, you should deactivate the touchpad when using a mouse to avoid accidentally clicking difficulties caused by the touchpad.
In the meantime, when you attach a mouse to your laptop, the touchpad becomes available and active by default. This enables you to execute some operations on your computer using either an external mouse or a touchpad.
How to Turn Off Touchpad Automatically When a Mouse is Connected on Windows 11 & Windows 10
Fortunately, Windows 11/10 includes an option to deactivate the touchpad when you connect an external mouse. When Windows 11/10 detects an external mouse, it will deactivate the touchpad. When you remove the external mouse from your PC, the touchpad will be enabled immediately. As a result, there is no need to turn off your computer’s touchpad while not in use.
So, here is the process to disable the touchpad when you connect a mouse to your Windows 11 and Windows 10:
1. Go to the Windows settings. You can press the Windows key + I to open Settings directly.
2. Select Bluetooth & devices from the left pane and click Touchpad.
3. Click the down arrow icon next to the Touchpad option.
4. Finally, uncheck the box next to the leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected option.
6. If you’re currently connected or using a mouse, your touchpad will be disabled.
- Go to Settings.
- Click Devices.
- Select Touchpad from the left-hand side pane.
- Uncheck the box next to the leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected option.
That’s it. These were the steps to turn off the touchpad when a mouse is connected to a Windows 11 and Windows 10 laptop. If you move your finger on your touchpad after completing the above instructions, you will find that it is no longer functional if you have connected the mouse to your PC. Simply remove the mouse, and your touchpad will resume normal operation.